[mythtv-users] Desperate for help - scte65scan/qam/mythtv

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Tue Apr 13 22:38:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-13 at 14:57 -0700, Billy Masters wrote:

> I get a "partial lock" and a black screen on many (but not all)
> channels above ~35.

Chances are those channels are encrypted, in which case you are hosed.
That's what Comcast is now doing to everybody. It still varies a bit
from area to area, but I went through the whole thing with scte65scan
and had all the "extended basic" channels working. But I only had them
available in the clear for a couple of days after they went digital, and
now I can only get the OTA channels and a few others that Comcast
considers 'basic' (government access, public access, TBS) and everything
else is encrypted. It turned my pair of HDHomeruns into semi-bricks
(still useful for the broadcast network HD channels). It sucks of course
but there is nothing we can do about it (if this is in fact what you are
facing).

I have ordered another DTA box and an IR blaster which I am going to try
to connect to my PVR-500 (analog tuner) so that I can again record the
extended basic channels. Several people here have reported success with
that.

--Greg