[mythtv-users] Stuttering video and wrong reported bitrate playing recordings in VLC (Windows)

Thomas Pontoppidan Spam1 at pontoppidan.name
Tue Apr 13 20:08:40 UTC 2010

I am trying to play some recordings in Windows based on this guide:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Play_Recordings_On_Windows_From_MythWeb.
My recordings are a mix of analog SD (Hauppauge PVR150 MPEG2), DVB SD
(MPEG2) and DVB HD (720p h.264).

HD recordings don't work - due to the limited hardware I'm running on
(Lenovo Thinkpad T60) I didn't expect them to either - no problem.
I did however expect SD recordings to play smoothly regardless of the source
- after all they are all MPEG2 and have comparable bitrates. DVB recordings
are fine, BUT analog recordings are stuttering, buffering all the time and
basically unviewable! I checked the codec information and it shows bitrates
of 16000 kbit/s! Based on the recording profiles in MythTV and the filesizes
this is far from the truth - a full movie takes up a maximum of 4-5 Gb, so
VLC must get confused somehow.

Is this a known issue (couldn't find anything on Google)? Any idea whether
it is VLC or the files that are wrong? - and most importantly; any solutions
or workarounds;-)