[mythtv-users] M4N78 Pro and sound over HDMI

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 17:54:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Jongi <jongitech at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 04/13/2010 10:49 AM, Jongi wrote:
>
> I'll compile a 2.6.32 kernel this evening
>
> On 12 Apr 2010 20:09, "Wayne Thomas" <waynethomas69 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Jongi <jongitech at gmail.com> wrote:
> > MythTV on Debian Unstable runn...
> >

> Unless I am remembering incorrectly, the M4N78 Pro Audio Chipset isn't
> fully supported under 2.6.31.  A friend has this motherboard and uses
> the SPDIF audio out.  I had to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.32 in order
> to get it working.
>
> Cheers
> Wayne
>
>  compiled 2.6.32.11 and still no go. Might the fact that I have some of
> the SPDIF settings set to unmute be causing any issues?

Some boards require spdif to be off perhaps even in the bios for hdmi to
work.  I am confused as to why you have two definitions for pcm.!default
 isn't this sufficient:

  pcm.!default {
     type plug
     slave.pcm "hdmi"
  }

I use the above definition but "spdif" instead of "hdmi" and it works fine.
 That is all you need.  Also, you don't need both ~/,asoundrc and
/etc/asound.conf.   ~/,asoundrc will dominate if present although I prefer
deleting  ~/,asoundrc and just using asound.conf for clarity.

Allen