[mythtv-users] Trouble with lirc and HD-PVR on Fedora 12

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Apr 13 14:18:36 UTC 2010

On 04/12/2010 10:08 PM, John Welch wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 9:57 PM, richard Woelk<richardwoelk at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> Sorry to reply to my own post, but I'm still having issues with this.
>>> Can anyone at least confirm that they have this modules (lirc_zilog)
>>> and this device (the IR transmitter of the HD-PVR) working on an F12
>>> system with the latest kernel (2.6.32.11-99)?  The fact that the
>>> module appears to load OK based on the messages I am seeing seems to
>>> indicate a problem with the module and/or kernel.  But I really have
>>> no idea what I am talking about, so maybe I'm out to lunch on this
>>> assessment.  Shouldn't the lirc device be created when the module
>>> loads?  If not, is it typically created when the service is started?
>>> In either case I had this working with minimal effort with the help of
>>> the directions in the HD-PVR wiki page.  So unless the wiki is
>>> outdated something appears to be amiss.
>>>
>>> Thanks again,
>>> John
>>>

>> John,
>>     I did experience this as well when I tried to set up the blaster, The big
>> remote ID numbers in lircd.conf are too big for lircd, and the daemon will
>> stop loading when it encounters these. I don't know how big is too big, but
>> removing all the the 10 digit numbers fixed it. My problem is that most of
>> the choices for my motorola STB were big numbers. I went back to my MCE USB
>> device.
>>     I also found a connection issue with the newer version of lirc. The
>> /dev/lirc0 device is created by the module loading, but what used to be
>> /dev/lircd, is now /var/run/lirc/lircd. This is created after lircd runs.
>>
>> - Richard
>>

> Richard,
>
> Thanks you so much for the response.  I was beginning to think I was
> alone with this problem.  I don't have anything fixed yet, but at
> least you've given me a few leads to explore.  Obviously something has
> changed in the kernel module or the lirc package because as I have
> stated I did have this all working.
>
> Thanks again,
> John

This problem was raised on the lirc list a couple of weeks ago. The
variable which holds the key code is inadvertently defined as a small
'int'. This might well already be fixed in the lirc cvs.

For more info, check the list-list archives at:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=lirc-list

Geoff