[mythtv-users] Trouble with lirc and HD-PVR on Fedora 12

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 12:38:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 1:41 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:08 PM, John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 9:57 PM, richard Woelk <richardwoelk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> John,
>>>    I did experience this as well when I tried to set up the blaster, The big
>>> remote ID numbers in lircd.conf are too big for lircd, and the daemon will
>>> stop loading when it encounters these. I don't know how big is too big, but
>>> removing all the the 10 digit numbers fixed it. My problem is that most of
>>> the choices for my motorola STB were big numbers. I went back to my MCE USB
>>> device.
>>>    I also found a connection issue with the newer version of lirc. The
>>> /dev/lirc0 device is created by the module loading, but what used to be
>>> /dev/lircd, is now /var/run/lirc/lircd. This is created after lircd runs.
>>>
>>> - Richard
>>>
>> Richard,
>>
>> Thanks you so much for the response.  I was beginning to think I was
>> alone with this problem.  I don't have anything fixed yet, but at
>> least you've given me a few leads to explore.  Obviously something has
>> changed in the kernel module or the lirc package because as I have
>> stated I did have this all working.
>

> There was a thread about this on either the lirc list or this list in
> just the past few weeks. I dunno what might have changed where, but
> lircd has used an int type for codes for some time now as far as I
> know (I rarely touch the userspace side, mostly just the kernel
> side...), and I believe the root problem is that the raw code values
> in that config file for a number of devices exceed the upper bound an
> int type can hold. I've been meaning to talk to Christoph about it.
> Never noticed it myself, as my box uses the 0_85 codes, which are all
> well within range.
>
> --
> Jarod Wilson
> jarod at wilsonet.com

Thanks Jarod.  For all I know the "warning" messages about the 10
digit codes were happening all along, even when I had things working.
I really think my problem is more related to the fact that the lirc
device is not being created anymore in /dev, but rather now something
appears in /var/run/lirc.  Am I wrong in thinking that the lirc device
gets created when the module(s) load?  Also, if this is the case, do
you know if something has changed with the most recent kernels /
modules that would have affected this behavior?

Thanks,
John