[mythtv-users] Dual display of Mythfrontend (different resolutions)?

Thomas Pontoppidan Spam1 at pontoppidan.name
Tue Apr 13 05:32:27 UTC 2010

2010/4/13 Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net>

> On 4/12/2010 6:16 PM, glenhawk at optusnet.com.au wrote:
>
>> Thomas Pontoppidan<Spam1 at pontoppidan.name>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I have been lucky to get my hands on a 1024X768 projector that I would
>>> like
>>> to use occasionally for playing MythTV content (mostly recordings). My
>>> "usual" display is a full HD TV.
>>>
>>> I have used the projector with a (Windows) laptop, starting recordings
>>> from
>>> Mythweb in VLC, but the solution is clumpsy; it's a mess with all the
>>> hardware and cables,  I can't use my remote, bookmarks don't work etc.
>>>
>>> So what I would like is to connect the projector permanently to the VGA
>>> output of my MythTV box (combined backend/frontend with onboard Nvidia
>>> Geforce 8200) and the TV to the HDMI output and just choose between the
>>> two
>>> outputs by turning them on and off. I can easily set up the Nvidia
>>> display
>>> settings to clone the display to both screens, but then I only get part
>>> of
>>> the desktop on the projector.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to get the (same) MythTV frontend session on two
>>> different
>>> screens, in two different resolution? Of course I need full 1080p
>>> resolution
>>> on the TV, so in the ideal world the projector should display a
>>> letterboxed,
>>> shrunked version.
>>>

> Yes. You want to run twinview cloned mode.

Thanks. This is what I'm currently trying without too much luck (the
projector image is cropped)!

> I do this now with my 800x600 projector and LCD running in 1024x768.
>
> the only weirdness is that it ruins (for some reason) switching to other
> non-X terminals. (using CTRL-ALT-F1 and so on) which doesn't bother me.
>
> The screen rez is set for the LCD and is magically scaled on the NTSC
> S-VIDEO output.

Yes, but I suspect that magic only happens because you are using s-video -
using the VGA output, Nvidia display settings only lets me choose from
resolutions lower than or equal to the projector's native resolution:( I
don't know if I could force a higher resolution by modifying the xorg.conf
file instead - something I was hoping to avoid, since it has given me lots
of trouble in the past...