[mythtv-users] Netflix under MythTV

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 22:56:43 UTC 2010

Has anyone gotten Netflix streaming under MythTV using any Virutal
machine and had it run with less than 100% CPU?  I have tried
everything I can think of.  I have searched the web and all I can find
is more people with the same problem I have, no solutions.  So, if you
are doing this please let me know what virtual machine suite you are
using and what the settings are.  Assuming there was some trick to get
it working, what was it?

I am firing off a Windows XP session with one of the MythTV buttons,
that starts firefox on the Netflix web site where I can select the
movie to stream.  It is a slick setup except that the video is jerky
as you would expect when the CPU is running 100%.  Without the movie,
the CPU is at just a few percent.  My machine is a AMD 5400+ with 2G
ram. Virtual Box is set to 1024M main memory and 32M video memory.
Guest Apps are installed and I just installed DirectX but it didn't
help at all.  My network is running 5MB downstream rate in the virtual
machine.  The network is not stressed, the CPU usage is the problem.
Monitor is 720x1280 digital.

Allen