[mythtv-users] M4N78 Pro and sound over HDMI

Jongi jongitech at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 15:38:35 UTC 2010

MythTV on Debian Unstable running 0.22+fixes20100218-0.1 (kernel 2.6.31.13)

The TV is a Samsung  -
http://www.samsung.com/za/consumer/tv/television/lcd-tv/LA32B530P7RXZN/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&returnurl=

I am trying to get sound over to play over HDMI on my M4N78 Pro mobo
(http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=lco8LZWTqWIhdLmv).

I have both ~/,asoundrc and /etc/asound.conf with:
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 3
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "hdmi"
}

My alsamixer settings look like so -
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/4816/alsamixer.jpg

Aplay returns:

$ aplay -l
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
   Subdevices: 2/2
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
   Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: VT1708S Digital [VT1708S Digital]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

$ aplay -L
null
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
     HDA NVidia, VT1708S Analog
     Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
     HDA NVidia, VT1708S Analog
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
     HDA NVidia, VT1708S Analog
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
     HDA NVidia, VT1708S Analog
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
     HDA NVidia, VT1708S Analog
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
     HDA NVidia, VT1708S Analog
iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
     HDA NVidia, VT1708S Digital
     IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
     HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
     HDMI Audio Output

I have been trying to play using mplayer using the following options:
mplayer -ao alsa:device=hdmi <file>
mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=0.3 (file>
mplayer <file>

The mplayer config file looks like
# Write your default config options here!
#ao=alsa:device=hdmi
vo=xv,
vo=vdpau,xv,
vc=ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,
#lavdopts:threads=2
lavdopts=fast=1:threads=2
stop-xscreensaver=1

Any ideas why I can't hear audio?