[mythtv-users] Biggest Mythtv setup

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Apr 11 09:49:20 UTC 2010

MarcT wrote:
>   Odd, 2 hours here would be about 4.4G, why is yours so bloated?

> All recordings vary.
> For example:
> A 1 hour SD recording made on my PVR-500 is about 2.2G (Analog Capture).
> This would be on par with your 2 hour recording.
> A 1 hour SD recording made by my HD-5000 is about 900 MB (Digital Capture).
> A 1 hour HD recording made on my HD-5000 varies from about 3G (SD show on a
> HD channel, black bars on the sides) to about 5G (720p HD recording) to
> about 8G (1080p HD recording). The 720p HD capture would be on par with the
> other party's 10G recording.

Bitrates. Although I only record SD over here in the UK, I normally get 2.0-2.2
Gb/hour from recording off Freeview (YMMV). However, sometimes when a feature
film is shown the file sizes can vary enormously from this nominal rate. It all
depends what bitrate the film was originally encoded with, I suspect. Some are
much smaller, but don't appear to be of less quality. A few are /much/ bigger
(like double or more), but don't appear to be of much greater quality.

--

Mike Perkins