[mythtv-users] Yet another Fedora 12 lirc_serial question

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 07:15:23 UTC 2010

> OK, so I don't need any kmdl packages because the lirc drivers are in
> the Fedora 12 kernels. But I still can't get this to work. Should I be
> seeing any lirc entries in lsmod if the drivers are in the kernel -
> I'm assuming not (and I don't)?

Answerting my own questino here - YES, the module DOES need to be
loaded. The fact that it wasn't was the root of my problem. On my
previous CentOS setup it was enough to have the module in
modprobe.conf. In this Fedora 12 setup I have taken the lirc lines out
of my old modprobe.conf and put them in a file on their own in
/etc/modprobe.d/lirc.conf but that wasn't enough to get the module
loaded. The only way I could get it to load was to add "modprobe
lirc_serial" to rc.local. This seems like a horrible hack to me - is
it just the way Fedora works, or is there a better way?