[mythtv-users] Comcast DVR - pulling recordings

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 19:35:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 2:12 PM,  <mythtv at derdev.com> wrote:
> My Comcast signals were encrypted, bye bye clear QAM (still have broadcast
> HD).
>
> Trying to figure out how to make value of Myth for PVR functionality now.

Some of the 'values' for me are as follows:

MythTv is Themable - I can control it's appearance.
The Cable DVR has advertisements on it. These make me sick.

The on screen guide is configurable in MythTv.
The Cable On Screen Guide is slow and crowded.

I'm able to edit my channel lists to remove unwanted stations. This
makes browsing live tv much easier and productive.
The cable company provides often 3 or more copies of the same channels
on different channel numbers.

MythTv also allows me to play my other media files that I acquire elsewhere.

MythTv also allows me to export my recordings to various formats.

I could go on all day about MythTv's merits over the cable company's
DVR solution.

Ease of setup is *NOT* one of MythTv's features. You will have to put
some effort into setting up MythTv. The good news is we are all here
to help you and it's rather well documented.

> I'll need a Comcast STB for some signal decoding... trying to figure out
> the merits of taking the Comcast DVR versus a Comcast STB and investing in
> some other card/IR combo... (I'm in the processing of selling my very
> functional HDHR dual tuners).

I still use an HDHR for dual tuning local channels when primetime
schedules conflict.

> What are ppl in similar situation doing with this kind of decision?  At
> this point, my Myth kit doesn't have much value for PVR.  (yes, music,
> movies, pictures are all still wonderful benefits of Myth).

I use the HD-PVR to record HD from my STB. It's well worth it.

GOOD LUCK!

-Johnny