[mythtv-users] Netflix under MythTV

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 16:50:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Friday 09 April 2010 10:03:18 am Allen Edwards wrote:
> > I have seen some discussion on integrating Netflix Streaming in a Myth
> > system. Perhaps I can get some help, or be of help.
> >
> > I have set up a menu selection that runs VirtualBox and fires off Windows
> >  XP and Netflix.  I can then stream instant movies.  The problem is they
> >  jitter so badly nobody will watch them.  The sound is fine (digital),
> but
> >  the picture is jerky like you would expect if the machine lacked CPU
> >  power.  I am using a AMD 5400+, Mythbuntu 8.04 and Myth 0.21.
>  VirtualBox
> >  version 2.1.2.
>
> Wow, that would take a long time to bring up VirtualBox, then XP, then
> Netflix.
> I'd be too impatient to put up with that.

> > In a recent post, someone said that VirtualBox will run 99% of raw CPU
> >  power but I would expect my 5400+ to have enough power to stream.  Help
> >  would be appreciated.
>
> I'd have a look at your XP VM and see if it's pegging CPU, or perhaps lacks
> RAM.

You might also want to try Netflix using one of the "approved" methods to
> see
> if your network connection is fast and clean enough to provide Netflix
> well. If
> that works you can start looking into problems with your VB instance and
> the
> VM running XP.
>
> Do you have anything controlling CPU speed on your VirtualBox machine?
>
> One thing I've discovered running PlayON under VirtualBox: The underlying
> OS
> does not ramp up the CPU speed when PlayOn needs it. I get stuttering with
> Hulu unless I manually speed up the CPUs on the machine running VirtualBox.
> This is a recent development, I didn't have to do that until recently. I
> think
> Hulu and/or PlayOn has done something that ups the CPU requirement.
>
> So you might see what happens if you max the CPU speed on the box running
> VirtualBox manually, or adjust the throttling thresholds.

Thanks for the reply

It really doesn't take long to come up to the Netflix site as everything is
automatic up to that point. About 15 seconds I think.  I don't have to do
anything until I get to the Netflix site except press the button in Myth.

I have 2G ram.  I can run Netflix in the house on windows machines.  I
assume that is what you mean by approved apps. My Internet is testing at
5.2MB right now, my wife must be slowing it down ;-)

I do have CPU throttling so that is an interesting point. It should go to
full speed at some very low threshold. I can't remember exactly but I think
something like 5%.  In any event, the machine is running at 2.8GHz when
watching a streaming movie and the CPU reading in TOP is 102%.  The movie I
picked actually looked OK but at 102% CPU, I am sure I will have trouble if
I try and watch the entire thing.

The other issue I have is that I set up VirtualBox for my old TV at 600x800
and now with my new LCD TV I am getting this little box inside the screen. I
could work to fix that but I hesitate to put in the time until I solve the
CPU load issue as I don't think asking for 720x1280 is going to help things.

Allen