[mythtv-users] Best Supported Cards

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Apr 9 15:27:14 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Barry Fawthrop <barry at isscp.com> wrote:

> Good Point my bad
>
> I was looking for capture
> I am currently thinking of upgrading my Video Display card to a 9400GT
> 1GB Ram Dual Monitor display VGA or DVI
>
> Is there a single card, both capture and Dual Display?
>
> It is on a Ubuntu 9.10 version for NTSC
> I have digital cable (or so the provider says) I have their HDTV box
> and their channels. I have tried connecting direct into cable and
> now via the HDTV cable box, using the WinTV HVR-1800  and No
> success.
> First the audio did not work, MythTV had off color picture and tvtime
> had a perfect picture
> now (I loaded the cs23885-audio tree) I can't get a picture at all
> did had sound direct into cable, nothing via the HDTV cable box :(

If you want to capture HD from a cable box output, you need the HD-PVR. If
you can get by with SD, there are a lot more options. If your provider
offers clear-QAM, you might be able to use an HDHR or other QAM capable
tuner to get the channels directly, including HD. But clear-QAM is going
away in many markets. You could try asking your cable company if you can
connect a new TV directly to the cable WITHOUT a cable-card. If the answer
is yes, you have clear-QAM available. Note that premium channels like HBO
are not likely available this way even if the normal channels are. Your
cable provider is really the only place to get the info you need for that.