[mythtv-users] Acer Revo AR1600 using HDMI has problems showing Myth on TV

Daniel Born born_daniel at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 17:34:43 UTC 2010

< SNIP - top post repair >

> On Apr 6, 2010, at 5:54 PM, Nick F wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Daniel Born <born_daniel at yahoo.com> wrot=
e:
>>> I decided to buy an Acer Revo AR1600 as a Myth frontend and
>>> started setting it up over the weekend (using Mythbuntu 9.10 same as my=
 backend).

>>> I have a problem displaying to the TV using HDMI... If I
>>> connect it using VGA, everything works but using HDMI,
>>> nothing is displayed once mythtv starts loading (screen goes
>>> dark as soon as the Myth splash screen (with the progress
>>> bar) gets displayed.
>>>

>> Have you tried it connected to another display? =A0I have a Dynex 1080p
>> LCD TV which I tried to drive with a Zotac ION board (so similar to
>> your Revo). =A0Connecting with HDMI gave me similar symptoms -
>> everything was visible during the boot sequence, but when X kicked it
>> with the NVIDIA drivers I got a blank screen (with the TV reporting a
>> 1080p 60Hz signal).
>>
>> When I connected it to two other 1080p displays (one a projector and
>> another a monitor) it worked perfectly using HDMI. =A0There was
>> something strange about the combination of the ION board and that
>> particular LCD. =A0I tried custom modelines, and everything.
>>
>> I eventually gave up and connected with a VGA cable- so will be
>> curious if you resolve the issue.
>
>On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Jeremy Green <jaggroups at brownout.com> wro=
te:
> I had a problem with one of my revos connected to a Dynex (i think, or so=
me other cheap tv from best buy).  It refused to show a picture on the HDMI=
 input unless the machine was outputting sound.  It drove me bonkers.  I co=
uldn't figure out what was going on.  I eventually figured out that when I =
had speaker_test running, I would get video.  I ended up returning the TV a=
nd getting a nice panasonic one to replace it.

>             -Jeremy
>

> Indeed - My 720p is 50" Plasma Panasonic and it works great on my Revo
> 1600 frontend. I'm running .22-fixes from SVN I've compiled myself.
>
> If you're working with the Revo 1600, ironing out issues - it is
> possible - don't give up.
>
> -Johnny

After further testing, it appears I am only  having problems with a Viewsonic 15" LCD TV (the kitchen's) and the EDID reports 1366x768 at 60Hz. I tried with my 1080p 40" Sony LCD TV and it works fine. Also tried with the bedroom's 32" Toshiba 720p (really 1366x768 too) which also runs fine but EDID reports 1280x720 at 60Hz. Since this FE was intended for the bedroom (it was just more convenient to set up in the kitchen rather than sitting on the bed!), it's not a major issue for now. Once/if I decide to setup Myth in the kitchen, I can experiment with this FE first and just buy another Revo if I get it to work.

Also, after having so many problems with the HDMI sound on my nVidia GT220 on my master BE/FE, it was nice to be able to set up the HDMI sound on the Revo so easily!

Thanks,
Daniel

http://mail.yahoo.com