[mythtv-users] 0.21 and 0.22 servers on the same network?

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 22:52:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> On 04/07/2010 04:40 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>>
>>> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Doug Lytle ote:

>>> I wonder if any Gentoo users know whether this can go in
>>> /etc/conf.d/mythbackend? Or do I have to hand edit the init scripts?
>>>
>>> It worked (I think) editing the init script and adding --noupnp as
>>> Media Player no longer sees it. However editing init scripts is
>>> probably not the Gentoo  way to do this.
>>>

>> There's really no need to turn off UPnP.  I run a production system and a
>> development system (2 completely separate systems) on the same network and
>> they both have UPnP enabled.  The only thing UPnP does is automatically find
>> the backend so you can select it rather than type in the information about
>> it the first time you run your MythTV program.
>>
>> Mike
>
> If it really provides so little value then why is it enabled by default?
>
> You're beyond a super user Mike, When it comes to this program I'm a
> complete dummy. I've heard a _lot_ of warnings here about 0.22 messing
> up 0.21 databases or the other way around. What value does this
> feature provide me if I know the IP addresses and am happy typing them
> in? One mistake and something is wrecked? No one is going to log into
> my network and fix this for me.
>
> To me it's not worth the risk. For you it's a non-issue because I
> guess you're a developer or something. Respectfully, we're coming from
> different points of view. To you this is easy. To me this is home brew
> software that has failed in my home for weeks at a time.

I had issues running separate branches of 0.22 on the same network.  I
am sure they can be overcome, but it was easier to just create a new
network for each mythtv install..

With vendor supplied software on home routers that can be just as
cumbersome though!

Luckily I do that for a living.  I guess you have to pick your battles :)