[mythtv-users] 0.21 and 0.22 servers on the same network?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 22:45:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 04/07/2010 04:40 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:

>>> mythbackend --help
>>>
>>> --noupnp                       Do not enable the UPNP server
>>>

>> I wonder if any Gentoo users know whether this can go in
>> /etc/conf.d/mythbackend? Or do I have to hand edit the init scripts?
>>
>> It worked (I think) editing the init script and adding --noupnp as
>> Media Player no longer sees it. However editing init scripts is
>> probably not the Gentoo  way to do this.
>>

> There's really no need to turn off UPnP.  I run a production system and a
> development system (2 completely separate systems) on the same network and
> they both have UPnP enabled.  The only thing UPnP does is automatically find
> the backend so you can select it rather than type in the information about
> it the first time you run your MythTV program.
>
> Mike

If it really provides so little value then why is it enabled by default?

You're beyond a super user Mike, When it comes to this program I'm a
complete dummy. I've heard a _lot_ of warnings here about 0.22 messing
up 0.21 databases or the other way around. What value does this
feature provide me if I know the IP addresses and am happy typing them
in? One mistake and something is wrecked? No one is going to log into
my network and fix this for me.

To me it's not worth the risk. For you it's a non-issue because I
guess you're a developer or something. Respectfully, we're coming from
different points of view. To you this is easy. To me this is home brew
software that has failed in my home for weeks at a time.

- Mark