[mythtv-users] Maximum length of cables for USB<>Serial DirecTV control?

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Wed Apr 7 08:23:38 UTC 2010

Scott Harris wrote:

Howdy all,
        I've got three DirecTV STBs, all working great either via
the built in mini RJ-22 or the USB<>Serial connections.  They are
all connected with fairly short cable lengths, < 2-3 feet.  I'm
trying to un-tether the 3 STBs from the mythtv backend system,
mainly to seperate them due to heat building.

I've read the various specs for USB cable lengths, and it seem that
going the 25-30 feet I need to go shouldn't be an issue, so long as
I'm willing to get better grade cable or add some sort of powered
repeater hub in the middle.

Does anyone have any real world proof that this distance would work?
Is it even feasible with the type of "USB" connections the STBs have?
Is there possibly a better, wireless solution?  I've never been too
keen on the wireless stuff, as it would mean some type of non direct
wired connection, which would reduce reliability.

Thanks for any help.

Scott

In my sailboat I have used this active extension cable between the chart plotter at the helm and a USB keyboard and mouse at the chart table down below without any problems:
http://www.clasohlson.no/Product/Product.aspx?id=91920821 (Sorry Norwegian only)
The total distance is 10 meters (about 31-32 feet). It is of course important that the active repeater is placed in the middle of the distance.

This looks to be the same type of cable:
http://www.usbextensioncable.com/16ft-Active-Extension.php

Jens