[mythtv-users] Can't upgrade from 1215 to current 0.22

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 7 03:21:20 UTC 2010

<sending final update for the list/archives>

On 04/06/2010 10:58 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:
> Thanks Mike. I updated to the lastest (did the Auto Builds from Mythbuntu site)
> I tried from the start again (DROP, CREATE, ALTER) and then restore
> without the --partial:
>
> It seemed to update ok. I went to mythtv-setup and it went through the
> various dB version updates.

So in the end, after much off-list back-and-forth, we found the database
was in an "equal corruption" state, which required the "normal"
full-database fix at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Fixing_Corrupt_Database_Encoding#Fixing_the_database_corruption
.

However, even after following the steps there, Brad had problems because
he was switching to Mythbuntu from Gentoo, and the pre-release version
of 0.22-fixes in a standard Mythbuntu 9.10 install has a bug which
caused a failure during the upgrade for some databases.

Once he enabled the auto-builds for 0.22-fixes (
http://www.mythbuntu.org/auto-builds ) and upgraded to current
0.22-fixes, the upgrade succeeded without issue.

> Seemed to work so far.
>
> Ok, where do I send a bottle of your favorite beverage?
>
> VERY MUCH appreciate your help!
>
> (I'm serious about the beverage!)

Great!  Glad we got it (and, from your description, we did).  Sorry it
took me so long to come up with the magic combination.  I didn't realize
you were using Ubuntu, now--I figured you were still on Gentoo--so I
didn't even think of the pre-release version issues until late.  There
are just way too many pieces involved, so it can be a challenge.

Anyway, enjoy MythTV, and just go ahead and enjoy that beverage for me.
:)  It's the thought that counts; plus, I get the satisfaction of having
helped to get things working.

Mike