[mythtv-users] HD-PVR and SPDIF out sound

John Nissley jnissley at nissley.org
Tue Apr 6 20:36:23 UTC 2010

>/ I am running trunk 23994 and just got the output of the audio from my F/E to
/>/ be SPDIF so now I am trying to make sure I have the best sound available
/>/ from my capture devices.
/>/
/>/ I have had the HD-PVR running well for at least six months with composite
/>/ input and the stereo plugs for sound.  I tried to switch to the SPDIF
/>/ connector for sound and made the changes required in the backend to look at
/>/ the SPDIF for sound.
/>/
/>/ My problem is that when the HD-PVR is used I sometimes get sound and
/>/ sometimes I do not get sound.  When I switch back to the stereo input the
/>/ sound works all the time.  I have a time warner stb for the HD content.
/>/
/>/ Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can look at to make SPDIF audio
/>/ work reliably?
/>/
/>/ Thanks
/>/
/>/
/>/ __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature
/>/ database 5004 (20100406) __________
/>/
/>/ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
/>/
/>/ http://www.eset.com
/>/
/>/
/>/ _______________________________________________
/>/ mythtv-users mailing list
/>/ mythtv-users at mythtv.org <http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users>
/>/
/
I can't seem to find the thread right now, but this has been addressed
before.  You need to make sure that you set the HD-PVR for the correct
audio input through v4l2-ctl.  Assuming your HD-PVR is on /dev/video0,
first type v4l2-ctl --device=/dev/video0 -l to get a list of the
current settings.  If I remember correctly the "audio_encoding" needs
to be set to (I believe) 4, but I could be remembering incorrectly,
and I can't get to my box right now.

A search of the archives for "HD-PVR" and "v4l2-ctl" might get you the answer.

George

Thank you for the response.  I was reading something about that but am not able
to find v4l2-ctl on my system anywhere.  I could not seem to find out how to install
it either.  I know that HD-PVR drivers exist now and do not need to be compiled in
and I was trying to do a yum-install v4l12-ctl* and could not find anything.

How would I get the v4l2-ctl program installed on my Fedora back end?

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5005 (20100406) __________

http://www.eset.com