[mythtv-users] Can't upgrade from 1215 to current 0.22

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 5 21:22:16 UTC 2010

On 04/05/2010 05:04 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:
> I've gone thru numerous threads trying to find out why I can't upgrade
> (many by Mr. Dean!). I've tried Mike's blank 1214 sql file and his
> instructions but nothing works.
>
> I don't see any errors, but I also don't see any data in the dB
>
> So, I'm wondering if since I have a sql dump of 1215, and not 1214, is
> there a different procedure to upgrade? If I load the the 1215
> database file into mysql and start mythtv-setup, it never updates the
> dB.
>
> Any pointers much appreciated. I guess the first question is there a
> different procedure to upgrate the 1215-format dB?

If the blank database fix didn't work, you have invalid data in the
"critical" tables of your database.

There are 2 fixes for this.  First (and, arguably the easiest) is to
upgrade to Qt 4.5 or higher--which will kindly ignore the errors
(meaning it completely invalidates the pre-upgrade check MythTV uses and
just truncates data from your database starting with the invalid
characters, so it allows users to completely break their databases).  If
you do this you should ensure you do the blank database restore followed
by partial restore of your 1214 or 1215 database, then upgrade.  The
truncation will not cause any problems at all if you use that approach
(though it can cause problems if you upgrade a complete database that way).

The other fix is to manually fix the offending data.  Finding out what's
bad is the big challenge--so much so, it would actually be much quicker
for me to do it for you than to explain what all you need to do.  Feel
free to send me (directly) a link to your DB backup off list and I can
fix it for you (or provide you the SQL that fixes it).  Or, look me up
in IRC (sphery) in a couple of hours and we can do it "real time."

Mike