[mythtv-users] Early hardware h264 support for Intel hardware

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 15:58:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 8:32 AM, George Nassas <gnassas at mac.com> wrote:
> On 2010-04-05, at 11:22 AM, Andrew Close wrote:
>
>> hmm, i seem to remember a conversation like this about 2 years ago
>> that prompted me (my fault, i know) to run out and buy in Intel mobo
>> with Intel graphics and chipset that never got support.  too bad
>
> Yeah, same here. It looks like boards from that era are left behind. Oh well, probably time for a new box soon.
>
> - George

I have no idea if it's in their target space but I have a new box
based on the DH55HC MB with the i5-661 processor. This combination
moved a bunch of the Intel GPU into the processor itself and produced
a reasonably low power system. I've got three older hard drives, 4GB
DRAM and a CD in the system and it typically uses less than about
80-100 watts. Not bad for a 2 core/ 4 hyper thread desktop sort of
system in my opinion. It built KDE in a couple of hours from source
and has been very stable so far.

I haven't studied it deeply by to the best of my knowledge the i5-661
is the only processor they've released as of yet with those features.

- Mark