[mythtv-users] MythTV in the UK

Stephen Bridges widget at stdin.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 10:56:33 UTC 2010

On Sunday 21 March 2010 20:17:24 Nick Morrott wrote:

Sorry for the delay in replying to this, I've been away a bit.

> When I last configured my DVB-S backend, there were about 10 BBC
> interactive channels available on Freesat (plus a couple for ITV). I
> used several of the BBC channels during the Vancouver Olympics to
> watch sports not carried or delayed on the regular BBC coverage.

Seriously?  Damn, I ended up watching the events I wanted to see on iPlayer.
I did a full reconfigure when 0.22 came out and I don't have red button access
here, I just get the DVB version of teletext.  I think I must have turned off
the interactive channels by accident trying to remove all the channels I don't
watch.

Are they the BBC Stream ones?  Only web information I found on the BBC red
button stuff on their website was not-so-old info saying they didn't think
they'd be able to do it on DVB-S.

> DVB-S has a _lot_ more bandwidth compared to DVB-T. How do you think
> Freesat support so many channels? In addition to the "crap shopping
> channels" Freesat also carries all regional variants of
> BBC1/BBC2/ITV1/Channel 4 etc, which are not available via DVB-T.

Well, I think I phrased this wrong.  It has a lot of bandwidth, but as it
covers the whole UK it also contains all the regional channels, and by
definition I only need one of those.  I then need to disable all the others
otherwise Myth is full of notices of episodes on dozens of identical channels.

This is made worse by things like Channel 4 regionals not actually being
labelled as such and requiring a look up.

> > full of crap shopping channels.  Signal to noise is a lot lower in terms
> > of content.  Unfortunately I don't have Freeview reception in
> > Northampton, but my Nova T cards are in a bag ready for the switchover,
> > presumably just in time for T2 to obsolete them.
>
> DVB-T2 will not obsolete DVB-T. The HD mux will use DVB-T2, the others
> will continue to use DVB-T and your Nova T tuners should be fine for
> the SD channels.

Good point.

Widget.