[mythtv-users] Maximum length of cables for USB<>Serial DirecTV control?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 01:47:10 UTC 2010

Hi

On 5 April 2010 08:17, Kevin Ross <kevin at familyross.net> wrote:

> I don't know about USB, but for serial, you can go up to about 50 feet with
> no problems.  If you need to go longer distances, you can get RS-232 to

It really depends on the cable.

I tried a 5m serial cable two weeks ago ; I only got garbage at the
end. It was one of those flat 2 pairs cable (like a telephone cable).

> RS-422 adapters, which would allow for cable runs close to a mile (if memory
> serves).

RS-485 is the go now over RS-422... Much harder to find RS-422
converter these days, while a 485 can be found on ebay for $5
including shipping

RS485 theorical is 1200m..