[mythtv-users] cracking on some DTS tracks

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Sun Apr 4 20:51:41 UTC 2010

Nicolas Will wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some movies with DTS soundtracks giving me cracking sounds on top
> of the proper soundtrack.
>
> Not all...
>
> Looking at the archives did not provide me with a working solution.
>
> The MythTV system uses the on-board sound chips and is connected to a
> DTS-capable receiver from Yamaha using an optical S/PDIF cable.
>
> Any offers on solutions ar things to explore?
>
> Ubuntu 10.04 - 64-bit
> 0.23 (was the same on Ubuntu 9.10 and 0.22-fixes)
> More details here: http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc/

I have the same problem.  I first wrote about it several months ago
here: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/410784

Here is another thread with what I believe is the same problem:

Playing the same .mkv file with other media players with DTS passthrough
enabled works fine.

A workaround is to enable the AC3 checkbox in the audio settings but not
the DTS checkbox.  It will then internally decode the DTS sound and
reencode it to AC3.  At least I believe that's what it does from reading
messages on this list from JYA.