[mythtv-users] How do I replace gnome desktop with a lightweight window manager?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 16:59:15 UTC 2010

> Sorry, I've found where you meant. I think I have a lot of overscan
> and the bottom of the screen was hidden. So now I can pick a new
> session but whatever I pick I just end up an a screen with a blue
> "bubbly" fedora background. You say I don't need to worry about where
> the scripts are, but if that's the case how do I tell X to run
> mythwelcome, xscreensaver etc? If it's not in .xsession any more,
> where is it?

For anyone else who struggles with this, I have now figured it out.
It's so simple, I wish I'd understood how it works earlier and saved
myself a few hours of pain.

In the GDM logon window click the Sessions menu at the bottom of the
screen and select "User script". It will then run whatever you have in
your $HOME/.xsession file. Note that you may have to click a username
1st in the login window in order to get the menu bar to display at the
bottom of the screen.