[mythtv-users] How do I replace gnome desktop with a lightweight window manager?

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sun Apr 4 15:58:40 UTC 2010

Phill Edwards wrote:
>> I've just reinstalled my MythTV 0.22 combined backend/frontend on
>> Fedora 12 (it used to be CentOS). But when it boots up it goes into
>> what I think is gnome-desktop rather than running mythwelcome. I don't
>> understand why that is and it's not what I want. I want it to boot
>> into a more lightweight window manager like openbox. Here's my
>> /home/mythtv/.xsession:
>> How do I get it to start what I've put in my .xsession and not go into
>> gnome-desktop?
>>

> Looks like I've really barfed my system now. I removed gnome-desktop
> in an attempt to stop it being loaded. That caused problems so I
> reinstalled it. Now when my machine boots it flashes through the GDM
> auto login for around 3 times and then goes to a grey screen which is
> a Blackbox window manager. Once in there I can't run anything
> (right-clicking to get a menu and chossing rxvt or xterm does
> nothing).
>
> I really don't understand where X11 gets its scripts from to know what
> window manager to run etc. I've seen some posts that talk about
> .xsession files being ignored now by gdm. Can someone please give me
> to pointers on how to sort this under under Fedora 12.

GDM should have a "Session" item on the login menu.  If you click on
that, you should get a menu of available "sessions" or desktops.  GDM
will give you an option to keep it for this session only, or change it
permanently.  You really don't have to worry about where it stores its
scripts.

You don't need to remove gnome.  I have gnome, kde, and a host of others
and I run xfce4 for user sessions and openbox for myth.  XFCE4 starts
some kde things and some gnome things and it all happens behind the
scenes all by itself.

--Yan

--

   o__