[mythtv-users] USB over IP

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Apr 4 15:04:09 UTC 2010

On Sunday 04 April 2010 08:46:53 am jedi wrote:

> > >     I use the extra space on my frontend and backend boxes for all
> > > manner of backups. With even a Revo you will end up with over 100G of
> > > free space since Linux and MythTV take up so little.
> >
> > That's on a very slow 2.5" drive, and may not be the best place to store
> > video, but for some backups it might be OK, if you trust those little
> > drives.
>
>    I've seen those little drives outlast the laptops they came with. So
>  those little drives aren't necessarily a problem. The fact that whatever I
>  am backing up can be cloned n+1 times is the really interesting part.

True, the laptop type drives do seem to be reliable and last a long time, but
their performance is vastly inferior to 3.5" units. I was just meaning to say
that  if you're using them for video storage, especially HD when using
multiple streams, they can become a bottleneck. I certainly wouldn't put the
database on one.

I have 2.5" drives that are over 10 years old that still work fine, slow but
steady. In fact, I don't think I have ever had a 2.5" drive fail on me.

>    The bigger larger drives seem to have all of the interesting problems
>  these days.

That's the truth. I have a Seagate and a WD, both of which need firmware
updates, something the manufacturer doesn't make easy, especially if you don't
have a Windows machine around.