[mythtv-users] Possible to use XvMC with h264?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Apr 4 02:32:32 UTC 2010

On 04/03/2010 12:17 PM, Yan Seiner wrote:
> I keep getting this error:
>
> 2010-04-03 09:07:37.036 VideoOutputXv: Desired video renderer
> 'xvmc-blit' not available.
> codec 'H.264' makes 'xv-blit,xshm,xlib,' available, using 'xv-blit'
> instead.
>
> I have XvMC working:
>
> [ 2768.085] (**) intel(0): Intel XvMC decoder enabled
> [ 2768.085] (II) intel(0): Set up textured video
> [ 2768.085] (II) intel(0): [XvMC] i915_xvmc driver initialized.
>
> As you can see I'm using Intel graphics.
>
> Before I spend any more time on this, is it even possible?

Well that error is inside myth, so there's a number of things to check
first. I presume you have run through the setup listed in the wiki. The
Intel setup is a lot easier now than is was (no compiling necessary!),
but you have to have the XvmConfig file with the full path name and the
xorg.conf has to enable xvmc. Then myth has to be compiled with xvmc
enabled, and *then* (you tired yet??) you have to use an xvmc profile.
(Looks like you got that bit right.) If you are running x86_64, it might
take two tries, one with /usr/lib/ and one with /usr/lib64. (I don't
know that bit yet, as I haven't yet found the free time to get myth
compiled on this box)

And the sacrifice of the chicken requires a Rhode Island Red hen, not a
cockerel, at midnight, on a full moon.
Unless you live in California, in which case, a Black Rosecomb Bantam
cockerel is indicated as the proper sacrifice, at *sidereal* noon, on
the ides of the month, in a public park, while wearing black leather.
And having a nubile teenager, wearing a white cotton shirt, dark
coloured tie, and grey garbardine pleated skirt is also useful, so you
can tell the cops "it's an experiment for my daughter's school science
fair", since they sure as hell won't believe the *real* reason you're
doing what you're doing!!!

Yours, not so much in jest!

Geoff