[mythtv-users] How to check status of HD-PVR

Alan Young ayoung at teleport.com
Sat Apr 3 03:38:17 UTC 2010

On 04/02/2010 05:22 PM, Mark wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>>> Ahh oops.
>>>
>>> In that case, you could try using "v4l2-ctl --device=/dev/video0
>>> --set-ctrl=brightness=134" and see what kind of response you get. I
>>> would
>>> imagine that it wouldn't hurt anything to re-set the brightness to
>>> current
>>> value (no change) during a recording... and the output would likely be
>>> different if the device was "unresponsive"
>>>

>> By a happy? coincidence, my HD-PVR JUST failed to record after about 3
>> weeks. I queried it, and it responds, but doesn't record.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I have to reset it now.. sorry.
>>
> An interesting note: I had to remove BOTH power and USB to reset it.
> Power cycle only will still fail to register the /dev/video2 device that
> I'm using.
>
> After I did that, I'm back online. I'm starting to wonder if this isn't
> a driver bug rather than a hardware issue.

What hardware revision do you have?  Some are known to overheat and can be
returned to Hauppauge for a swap out for a new version.  Before that, you
could also try turning it on it's side to allow the bottom to cool better
along with the top.  If you're out of warranty, or don't care about a warranty
at all ;-) , you can take the top off and fill the area with fan mesh to let
the heat escape or replace the cover with a fan (if it doesn't already have
one).  There's instructions on the net for that option.

Also do you get any error messages in the system log when the recordings fail?

Alan