[mythtv-users] lirc, new RC-6 remote, and HVR-2250

Stefan Jones stefan_jones at comcast.net
Fri Apr 2 18:49:33 UTC 2010

Until a few days back, I was using the Toth / Linux TV drivers with my Hauppague HVR-2250. They worked fine.

I recently updated Fedora 12, and got the 2.6.32 kernel. JOY! Built in support! No more pesky driver recompiles!

The kernel support for the tuners works fine. And . . . IR support! Well, maybe.

I've been reading the discussions here RE kernel fixes to the 2250's IR equipment. I'm not sure if they're all ironed out, but I have additional questions that I hope someone here can help answer in the meantime:

Background:

* I have lirc, lirc-remotes, and lirc-lib downloaded. I put the Hauppague lircmd.conf, lircrc, and lircd.conf files (from sourceforge) in /etc/lirc. Fedora seems to see the hardware, but I'm having trouble getting things working.

* In my readings of the www.lirc.org FAQs and tables, I see an "RC-5 protocol only" remote mentioned. The FTP area has pictures of various Hauppague remotes. AHA? My remote isn't pictured: My 2250 came with a black, rounded-hourglass-shaped remote. It has a round Window logo up front. There's a label in back reading RC-6.

* Has anyone been able to get this new remote working?

* When I start lirc Fedora / KDE pops up a little tray utility that invites me to set the remote's mode. Could this little app be interfering with the remote's operation with MythTV?

I'm in no rush. I have a little wireless keyboard that works OK. But It would be nice to have a remote.

Thank,

Stefan