[mythtv-users] USB over IP

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Apr 2 16:59:10 UTC 2010

>     Even a Revo would probably be a better option. The idea that it will
> somehow "go poof" before the walwart will is a bit hysterical.

Was talking more about power use than reliability of the power supply.

>    My backend boxes chug along until there is a reason to upgrade MythTV
> itself. They're Unix boxes. So the idea that they need to be fussed over
> is a bit silly.

And while I realize that upgrading one backend vs two is not a terribly more
difficult task, it does increase the labor and potential issues involved.

If you had a choice between putting say 8 USB tuners on one backend  or
building a second backend because you only have 4 USB ports... wouldn't you
choose to only run one?  This is assuming of course you are not gaining any
other advantage by having two backends, as the OP did not suggest he had any
concerns about the ability of his backend to support more tuners.