[mythtv-users] Kodak Theatre HD Player Impressions

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Apr 2 14:00:24 UTC 2010

On Friday 02 April 2010 05:59:02 am Mike Perkins wrote:

> > It was certainly worth the $50 I paid, but I would not pay even $100 for
> > it. For the list price, I'd buy a Revo. It does not integrate into Myth
> > systems well at all.
>
> Is there any possibility you could put a sensible OS on it? That might make
>  the hardware more useful.

Possibly, but I think my Myka is a better candidate for that, as it uses a
standard HDD and has an SDK available. The same has been said about the
Popcorn Hour.

The Kodak unit retails for $150, I would never have bought it except for the
$50 Woot deal.

I think the Revo is still the best unit for getting a hardware-decoding unit
that you can install what you want on. Not only do you have the ION, but it
can accept the CrystalHD module. Interestingly the price is the same as the
base Myka.

I plan to give the Kodak to my (non-Linux, non-Myth) brother. For a Windows-
centric household it's a workable solution for playing digital media. It also
provides easy to access to things like YouTube on a TV set, not something I
have any interest in.

The YouTube phenomenon confuses me. I spent my career working with
professionals producing good professional video, and it turns out that people
really want to watch amateur crap, go figure.