[mythtv-users] Upgrade advice - JYA to mythbuntu auto-builds

Chris Adams rocket at extremelan.net
Thu Apr 1 01:42:22 UTC 2010

> I had a few gotchas, it seems jya's packages show up as 2:0.22 which apt thinks is newer than 0.23 so that was a pain. I upgraded a couple of backends and three frontends, same problem on each, apt didn't want to upgrade anything even after commenting out the jya repo and trying again.

Yep, same thing I saw. He would've done it on purpose to make double
sure the packages stomped on mythbuntu's base when you first add his
repo.

> What I did was to add the mythbuntu 0.23 weekly builds repository, disable the jya repository, apt-get update, then manually apt-get remove all the mythtv packages, doesn't really matter everything is in the database after all.
> I then installed mythtv, or mythtv-frontend or mythtv-backend and mythtv-themes as appropriate.

That's what I was thinking of, but was afraid the mythconverg database
would be killed as part of removing mythtv-database. I've backed it up
though, so.. what's the worst that can happen, I'll restore it and let
myth upgrade it :)

I was considering forcing a downgrade (apt-get install
package=version) but it was going to downgrade more other packages
than I was willing to take a risk on, so I haven't done anything just
yet..

> I had to manually flush the /usr/share/mythtv/themes directory as I had some manually installed themes that wouldn't go away and caused me some crashes, mythfrontend.real -v is very useful. I also found a /etc/default/mythtv-backend file that was breaking the user environment for the master backend (couldn't find mysql.txt), removed it and the backend-started happily rather than looping crazily.
>
> I found that lirc had also been removed as a dependency so had to re-install that and replace the config files from a backup.

Much appreciated - I'll keep a lookout for those issues.

>> Also wondering if people think I should keep JYA for nvidia drivers,
>> or use mythbuntu for nvidia too.
>
> I'm keeping the jya drivers but it looks like mythbuntu packages them up as two part now so maybe there's no major difference now? JYA is always really quick at packaging new drivers versions  but those 2:0.22 version numbers will presumably cause apt to "upgrade" everything back to 0.22 if I re-enable the repo?

I'll do what you've done too - leave the JYA drivers in place but
disable the repo.

>> And a third thing: is nvidia 195 ready for prime-time yet? Just
>
> Works well here for me, based on a sample of two it's perfect ;-)

Hmm.. might upgrade to 195 before disabling the repo :-)

Very helpful, cheers!
Chris