[mythtv-users] VDPAU wiki De-int capabilities

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 22:54:42 UTC 2009

2009/10/1 Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com>:

> That is a nice little tool. I have question about interpreting the
> results. What is the minimum frame/field rate needed to do ATSC 1080i
> or HD H264? Would it be 30 frames/s and 60 fields/s, or is some of the
> material actually 60 frames/s, 120 fields/s. Or is my interpretation

1080i in the US is 30 frame/s
you want your card to do more than that (and they all do in my experience)

For deinterlacing, it depends on which deinterlacers you are using.
If using Temporal 2X or Advanced 2X it converts 60Hz interlaced (30
frame/s) to 60Hz progressive (60 frame/s)

So you want to see at least 60 field/s

less than that and the card can't do it.

For example, in the email you see:
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL (1920x1080): 23 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + SKIP_CHROMA (1920x1080): 26 fields/s

that means the card isn't fast enough to do it.

If you see:
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL (1920x1080): 93 fields/s
MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL + SKIP_CHROMA (1920x1080): 103 fields/s
then it means the card can do it.

> completely off? If we added some numbers to the chart it would be good
> to have minimums needed to avoid the idea that you need or that it
> would even be helpful to have 753 fields/s with Advanced 2x as one
> user in that thread reported with their GTX 285.

That's a very fast card ...