[mythtv-users] Any advice on upgrade path to mythtv .22 for debian users?

Matt W mwood23 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 19:03:16 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Matt Beadon <matt.beadon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm currently running stable (lenny) with .21+fixes but I'm thinking that's
> a mistake since I'm keen to use .22 when it's released.  I've been doing
> some reading regarding mixing stable and testing releases and I've come to
> the conclusion that it'll probably break a lot of things since mythtv has a
> lot of dependencies.
>
> So as I see it I have 3 options:
> 1) do a dist upgrade from stable to testing and then wait for .22 to hit the
> testing multimedia repo (anyone know how long that might take?)
> 2) stay with stable and install from source.  I try hard to avoid this in
> general but in this case I'm not sure it's possible because of the
> dependencies (mplayer, ffmpeg etc)?
> 3) re-install system and use ubuntu 9.04.  I generally like what I've seen
> of ubuntu but the down time this would require as well as the learning curve
> make this option the least appealing.

I've been running .22 SVN on Lenny (2.6.26-2-amd64) and had no
problems with compatibilities and have been nicely surprised to see
the kernel has had everything I've needed.  It supported my HD-5500
out of the box (was in 2.6.18 right?), same for my HDA audio
(AD1986A).  I have an onboard GeForce 6150 and for that I use the
non-free nvidia-glx driver.  I should probably go the nvidia driver
route to see if I get better performance.

For the mythtv upgrade, I did the mysql dump of all recorded show info
(see HOWTO and guides).  The only drawback is the old png thumbnails
don't work in mythweb but I'm too lazy to go and fix those.

So you might also consider reinstalling the system clean down to a
fresh Lenny or at least removing a bunch of stuff.  That way you don't
need to reinvent the wheel.  I've satisfied the majority of
dependencies with packages.  Stuff I had to compile:  LAME, lcdproc
(the version from irserver), scte65scan (I'm in a Comcastic! hybrid
cable zone), oh and .22 SVN of course.  Which only twice has bombed
out on me (some bugs that were later fixed).

Note that you'll need QT v4 for .22.

-matt