[mythtv-users] 0.22 MythVideo slow first time cover art displays

freedenizen freedenizen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 21:20:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> I understand it works very well once the images are downloaded.  My
> comment was along the lines of why the download wasn't backgrounded in
> the first place given the dependence on outside sources that could be
> down, unavailable, or slow for a user.  Why not design a UI that
> handles such problematic pieces to occur behind the scenes?  Seems a
> much better experience for users to find that fanart (or any other
> metadata that we might support in the future) appears as they are
> working with the software (or after a specific fetch) rather than a
> halting UI that you wait for while it does the work.  It's the same
> complaint people put forward for Watch Recordings for scheduler
> updates, preview generation, etc. etc. and work was done to make those
> background tasks.  Seems that it would be logical that new features
> would build on that work rather than be subject to similar
> criticisms...
>
> Kevin

Well the metadata and art I do download in the background, it is the
scaling and effects that only occur on access.  The reason it wasn't
done already, it isn't as easy as it seems, and there is always one
more thing that would would make myth better.  The devs have to choose
a cutoff point, and this is where it is at.