[mythtv-users] Is NVIDIA worth the bother?

Mark Garland mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk
Mon Sep 28 19:25:02 UTC 2009

> Having read through it, the only comments you
> made specifically about the video drivers were that the
> proprietary one caused tearing, the radeonhd one gave "pretty bad
> performance", and the radeon one gave "pretty good results".

Hi Tim,

At the time I didn't know what was going on and seemed to be having many
issues at the same time, however the random locking, the log messages about
video buffers, the ring buffer issues, the sound issues, all disappeared
since I switched to NVidia.
Sure, I still get the minor niggle, but I can honestly say that the £20 I
spent on a card was well worth every penny.  It may not be a fancy card, and
may not do XxMC or VDPAU, but it turned a really sickly system into a pretty
reliable one.

>Other reports indicate that it's a good board in other respects, and it's
>not too expensive, so it's probably worth it either way.

Many have got it working (they probably have more knowledge in this than I
do).  Owen.townend from the original link has even offered to share his
details/settings, so it may be possible.

Personally, if I was building a new system tomorrow, I'd know what I'd do.

Hope I've been of some help to you,

MG