[mythtv-users] ION Platform with case

Tony Brummett brummett at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 15:42:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 9:13 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>    Also, these Atom CPUs are extremely weak. Any video you play should
> be hardware accelerated through vdpau even if it is SD content. Without
> vdpau enabled for your particular player/content, these boxes are
> inferior to an AppleTV. XVMC is what makes the AppleTV usable.

I just don't think that's true.  I have one of the single-core Zotac
boards as a fontend-only machine, and it'll play HD mpeg2 without
hardware acceleration.  I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but
I'm pretty impressed with it.

OTOH, the appleTV I have runs warm, reboots itself every other day or
so, requires XvMC to play HD, and the remote is annoying to use.  I
really like the form factor, though.

-- Tony  brummett at gmail.com