[mythtv-users] ION Platform with case

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Sep 28 14:13:59 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 09:48:52PM -0500, Mitch Gore wrote:

> >  Seems like ION-based desktops are coming out daily for as low as $199.
> > Search Engadget.com for "nettop", they even have one on the front page right
> > now. Most of the ones I've seen come with a hard drive but no optical drive.
> >

> This box to me seems preferable over the zotac boards.  Its a very
> tight and small package.  What are the negitives over the zotac in a
> Myth centric point of view?

    I can't speak to this box in particular. However, the Asrock 330
has a relatively noisy CPU fan. It's not much but it is noisier than
the AppleTV or any of the intel Mac minis. It's the sort of thing
you're not likely to notice when the unit is being used but you would
notice when it's not.

    Also, these Atom CPUs are extremely weak. Any video you play should
be hardware accelerated through vdpau even if it is SD content. Without
vdpau enabled for your particular player/content, these boxes are
inferior to an AppleTV. XVMC is what makes the AppleTV usable.