[mythtv-users] Signal strength reported by tuner card?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Sep 27 23:43:20 UTC 2009

On Sunday 27 September 2009 17:31:29 George Nassas wrote:
> On 2009-09-27, at 3:33 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Sunday 27 September 2009 12:23:17 Andrew Herron wrote:
> >> I have an equivalent STB hooked up as a benchmark the DVB card
> >> seems to
> >> always be less sensitive and to deliver a less stable & lower quality
> >
> > Assuming your assertion to be correct (and I have no reason to doubt
> > your
> > word), I can't see any reason why it should be so.
>
> Could it be electrical/RF/??? noise from other components within the
> PC? A friend has a similar problem with a PVR-250 card where the TV
> gives a much better picture even though they're right next to each
> other, split off the same cable etc.

Anyone designing a card intended to go into a PC knows, or at least should
know, what the environment is like inside a PC case, and should take measures
to combat any RF floating around, or inverter hash on the DC rails etc.

A PC card should work as well as a standalone STB, or at least should be
capable of working as well, assuming a good quality PSU, proper configuration
etc.

I can get my PVRs to produce pictures that the average non-technical viewer
can't tell from the signal being produced by the TV set itself with a direct
CATV feed. I can see some artifacts, after all you are looking at an encoder
on the PVR, as opposed to the encoder at the TV station or network, and
presumably the one at the TV station is of better quality than a sub $100
card.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org