[mythtv-users] Dead silent backend ?

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sun Sep 27 00:28:33 UTC 2009

Mark Garland wrote:
>> So I was hoping to maybe try again having the backend in the cinema
>> room, this time in a really silent case.. and by silent I mean silent.
>>

> Hi Jean-Yves,
>
> Have you seen this?
> http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54709
>
> I stumbled upon it the other day - zero moving parts.
>
> Obviously, if you have 7 harddrives, converting them to SSD would be
> expensive.  Perhaps some sort of NAS could work for you (i.e. dump the
> drives in the next room).
>
> Just a thought - it does look cool though!

Or muffle it.....

I spent the day installing a PC in my van.  Finally got it fired up and
had look at the LEDs and the fans to make sure it was running.  I
literally could not hear it.  At all.

It has 2 fans, and the reviews on Newegg complain about the noise.

The big difference - the computer sits inside a seat, and is surrounded
by cushions.  The main fan exhausts into upholstery.

It's amazing how much muffling fabric can do.  So upholster your
backend.  :-)

--Yan

--

   o__