[mythtv-users] OPen source video card support (Was:Is NVIDIA worth the bother?)

tortise at paradise.net.nz tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sat Sep 26 10:24:33 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Randolph" <mrand at pobox.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2009 6:38 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] OPen source video card support (Was:Is NVIDIA worth the bother?)

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Eric Sharkey wrote:
>all this <insert expletive of choice> to implement HDCP.

>I don't know how much HDCP is a factor in keeping the API closed -
after all, Intel is doing their best to open their video stuff up.....

Interesting.

I note the NVIDIA 8xxx + cards I checked are all said to be HDCP compliant, which presumably means they'll downscale HD content
containing ICP tokens to SD over component, just as it does in some (Sony) Blu Ray players.

Assuming that to be the case I can understand why the drivers might well be kept closed source....

Something tells me that will not work forever.....  however I imagine it may well be a nuisance for quite some time.....

Long live competition! (In both the card and driver senses!)