[mythtv-users] mythbuntu and nvidia 6200

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Sep 26 02:15:46 UTC 2009

staticsupply wrote:
> I am finding it quite difficult to figure out how to properly configure
> my nvidia 6200 graphics card with my mythbuntu front end.  I have tried
> to use the hardware drivers option under system.  I have also looked in
> the package manager to find the proper driver and could not find it.  I
> have downloaded the proper file from nvidia’s website, but when I
> attempt to sudo sh Nvidia…. It tells me I have to exit my x session
> before I can install the driver.  This is a bit over my head
> apparently.  Could someone please explain the proper way to go about
> getting this card to work.  I have been searching online for days and
> cannot seem to find any solution that works.
> Anyway, thanks for any help any of you could give me.

Download the proper nvidia driver package from here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?=122606

Make sure that you grab the correct driver for an NV6200. The 6200 does
not 'do' VDPAU, but the latest drivers still incorporate XvMC for the
older chipsets (if I read the docs correctly).

chmod the package to make it executable.
2 choices:

1) Edit the kernel line of the kernel you boot from in
/boot/grub/grub.conf to add a '3' at the end of the line. The line you
want starts with kernel /vmlinuz-2.6....whatever root=/dev/sda(something)

2) Edit the line in /etc/inittab which reads 'id:5:initdefault:' to
change the '5' to a '3' (or maybe its a '1' or a '2' in ubuntu....not sure).

REBOOT.
Run the nvidia package after logging in.
The installer will create any necessary kernel module.
Reverse the edit you did above.
REBOOT

You may need to make changes to xorg.conf.
You will need to re-do this whenever you update the kernel (or to
install a newer version of the driver).

NOTE that once you install the nvidia driver, you will not be able to go
back to using an Intel driver, (or openchrome driver). The nvidia driver
replaces certain modules with nvidia versions which are not compatible
with the other drivers.