[mythtv-users] valuing electricity savings

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Fri Sep 25 15:41:17 UTC 2009

> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 07:37:16 +0100
> From: Greg Cope <gregcope at gmail.com>

> On 25 Sep 2009, at 06:50, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
>
>> Gavin Peters wrote:
>> So, the question is, can you put together an HD-capable MythTV
>> system for $240?  (For that matter, where I live electricity is
>> $0.10/kWh, so I'd have to do it for $120.)

> FYI but lecy costs are probably nearer .30$ average in other places
> and you are assuming 0% price inflation over the life of the thing.
> Successfull myth boxes ted to be left working and have a longer life
> than an average pc.

You must live in California or one of the other places where they've
artificially inflated the cost of electricity in order to avoid actually
building enough capacity.

The national average cost for electricity is $.1191/KWH as of June 2009.
<http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epm/table5_6_a.html>

Jeff Walther