[mythtv-users] Automatic Rescan of DVB-T

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 12:35:38 UTC 2009

2009/9/23  <alex at apics.co.uk>:
> Hi All,
>         In short I want to know if anyone has figured a way to automate an
> unattended rescan of DVB-T channels.....

Nope...

>         Long version:  I'm going on holiday on Monday, yeahy wooo ;-), but
> as you may be aware in the UK all DVB-T channels must be rescanned on 30th
> September, booo hiss :-(   I'm going to be out of the country, and have no
> idea what internet access will be like.....  Thats a week and a half of
> rubbish tv which might not get recorded, no matter how good the holiday is,
> the other half may kill me when we get back!!   I'm hoping someone is going
> to say 'no worries, here's a script' (gulp, please.... a nice script...
> anyone??)  NX is sat in the side lines waiting, but will be no use if I've
> no way to connect to it....

Sadly there is no mythtv-setup --rescan-channels option yet, which
might have fitted the bill. However, there is BBC iPlayer, 4OD etc,
which might help to keep the WAF above zero on your return.

>         I think I'm going to have to resort to some (very quick)
> mythtv/linux training for someone (haven't decided who yet)...  But it would
> be nice if this wasn't necessary.

This looks like it's going to be a non-trivial update due to the
channel/mux shuffling, and the most straightforward update method for
you (or your sub) may well be to create a new video source, rather
than rescanning the existing one. I'm sure the list will be carrying
stories of success (and failure) of rescans next week, so keep an eye
on it if you can.

I'd recommend any UK users affected to check their upcomings list
before Wednesday and think about deferring any recordings that have
repeat showings later in the week "just in case". If there's less
pressure on you there's less chance of a hasty mistake (and a DB
backup might also be a sensible precaution). If you have another video
source configured (Freesat/Sky/Virgin etc) you can also prefer other
inputs temporarily in your recording rules during the transition.

Take some consolation that every Freeview user in the country has got
to rescan on or after the 30th, and that some of us have recordings
scheduled on Wednesday at 1230...

Enjoy your holiday :)

Cheers,
Nick