[mythtv-users] new rig ... help with specs

Tim McKenzie tjm1983 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 07:11:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 02:09:42 Ian Clark wrote:
> 2009/9/19 Michelle Dupuis <support at ocg.ca>
>
> > From experience, avoid ATI cards.  As well, check out VDPAU
> > which is Nvidia...moves all deinterlacing to the grpahics
> > card and more...
>
> Be careful with older nVidia stuff, they had major packaging
>  issues a while back, newer stuff should be ok though.
>
> ATI onboard graphics are absolutly fantastic.... unless you
>  want to use myth, although there seem to be more favourable
>  reports with later/opensource ATI drivers. It's still really
>  nVidia for myth though.

I'm interested in this discussion.  I'm currently thinking about
building a MythTV box (to double as a front- and back-end, and
perhaps do other work, too).  I was looking at an ECS A780GM-A
motherboard, which has a built-in ATI Radeon HD3200.  I'm
particularly interested in the favourable reports with open source
drivers, since I'd like to stick with open source.

And will it matter anyway if I put an Athlon II X2 240 (2.8 GHz
dual-core AM3) in it?

Tim
<><