[mythtv-users] valuing electricity savings

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Sep 25 05:50:55 UTC 2009

Gavin Peters wrote:
> So, if you can save 30W of base load, you're saving between $244.20
> and $232.80 over five years.  How much would the old computer sell
> for?  How much does the new one cost?

My experience is that old computers tend to have a negative value these
days -- no one will buy them and you often have to pay a computer
recycler to accept them.

So, the question is, can you put together an HD-capable MythTV system
for $240?  (For that matter, where I live electricity is $0.10/kWh, so
I'd have to do it for $120.)