[mythtv-users] Best PCI HD capture card?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Sep 25 01:59:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 03:47:06PM -0400, Arthur H. Hamm Jr. wrote:

>> Is there a reason you need a PCI card?  I have the HDHomeRun and I love
>> it.  Tech support is very good (they have an IRC channel).  It grabs
>> QAM and ATSC at the same time if you want (it has 2 tuners on it).  It
>> uses ethernet to get the stream into your computer (very easy) and
>> totally supported in Myth.
>
> PCI is my first choice because I can just pull one of my PVR-250's. I am
> not totally against the HDHR. I am mostly concerned with the picture
> quality.

    I would expect you would get better picture quality out of the HD-PVR
but your are ultimately limited by the quality of the source signal. For
the short time I was doing SD capture with the HD-PVR, it seemed to produce
better results than my PVR-150. Although the best thing is that you can feed
it an HD signal or an HD signal that's been downscaled by your STB.

    Downscaled HD definitely trumps the SD signals on my provider (DirecTV).

[deletia]