[mythtv-users] Transcoding MPEG2 HD Recording to MPEG2 SD

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 24 23:00:48 UTC 2009

On 09/24/2009 04:14 PM, moodyjunk wrote:
> I want to take a standard MPEG2 HD recording (from my HD5500) and transcode it down to a version that my PVR350 will play on a standard analog TV.  I can successfully use mythtranscode to generate MPEG4 but that overtaxes uses my low powered (800 MHz) CPU (PVR350 only handles MPEG2).  I see the MPEG2 -> MPEG2 transcode, but that seems to only remove segments (commercials) leaving the recording in between untouched (lossless).  I want an MPEG2 -> MPEG2 lossy transcode.
>
> With the forced march to digital source and all the PVR350's out there I can't believe I'm the only one wanting to do this for backup/workshop viewing.  Any ideas?

FWIW, I would bet that the additional cost of the power used in
transcoding all your recordings to a 1/4-sized or 1/9-sized MPEG-2 for
playback with your PVR-350 plus the lack of good power-saving features
in the old system that's running the PVR-350 would pay for a nice Core 2
Duo and RAM and nvidia GPU-based motherboard (and, while you're at it,
might as well throw in a nice 80 PLUS PSU) in no time.  And, with that
approach--spending money on new hardware instead of on "electron
mobility"--you actually get a nice system that's more responsive and
allows Myth to do so much more.

Mike