[mythtv-users] myblaster and multiple dish STB's

William william_munson at comcast.net
Thu Sep 24 03:23:56 UTC 2009

Ajay Sharma wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Jeff <junk_inbox at verizon.net
> <mailto:junk_inbox at verizon.net>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Evuraan <evuraan at gmail.com
>     <mailto:evuraan at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         >
>         > I use a home-made Buffered Serial IR blaster with 3 IR emitters.
>         >

>         Could you please detail how did you make the serial ir
>         blaster? I am
>         looking to make one myself despite having a usb-to-serial adapter
>         instead of real serial ports. thanks.!
>

>     A Serial IR blaster won't work with a USB-to-serial adapter, sorry.
>     [snip]
>
>     If you insist on USB, you'll have to shop around for a
>     lirc-compatible usb blaster.  (note: not a USB->Serial adapter, a
>     purpose-made USB attached IR blaster.)
>

> Will something like this work?
>
> http://iguanaworks.net/product1.psp

No that will not work. It only produces signals at 38kHz which is not
compatible with dishnet which uses 44kHz. Dish is a difficult beast to
control which is why the MyBlaster was so popular. (I wrote the control
script that everyone uses.) Since that company is out of business you
are pretty much stuck with a commercial or homemade blaster running on a
serial port. ASAIK there are no usb based blasters that will control
dishnet.
> Also, you mention "3 IR emitters", is that important to control
> multiple dish STBs (set top boxes)?

The reason for 3 is that the emitters are pretty weak on a homebuilt
transmitter and need to be put right on the front of the receiver to
work. A commerical one makes a much brighter signal and can control
several devices with one emitter.

William